Diver Cox assessment February 3rd. 2018 Knott End

Reports on our previous club dive trips and some of our day diving activities

Diver Cox assessment February 3rd. 2018 Knott End

Postby Anthony Mould » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:51 pm

Diver Cox assessment

February 3rd. 2018 Knott End

Blue moon, super moon and blood moon lead to the largest tidal range of the year 10.1 over 0.6 with a high water at 13:00 provided the ideal conditions for putting any cox to the test. The weather was kind to us with the forecasted rain holding off until the boat was back on the trailer and packed away for the journey home.

The day started off well with everyone being ready on time. We checked over the boat and hitched up and stopped at the petrol station to fill the spare fuel tank with 20L of fuel. Arriving at Knott End Drysuit on first as looked like the rain could start anytime. The wind little stronger than forecast but not at a level to be concerned, everyone went about the duties to prepare the boat for launch. Coordinates of marks entered into the GPS. VHF radios tested. The launch went to plan and the car and trailer stored in the carpark. The engine started up straight away, remaining kit stowed in the boat. The first exercise to do U-turn in confined space under the big jetty on the far bank, the tide was coming in at a rate of knots and left no room for error. After successfully completing this we headed out to our first Mark using lateral buoys to stay in the channel. Upon reaching the Fairway buoy which is a cardinal buoy Mick insisted we put the bow of the boat onto the buoy to demonstrating coming alongside and understanding of different force present. Next, we travelled the remained 2.5 nautical miles to the wreck of the Sunbeam where we placed a shot alongside the wreck. This proved to be quite difficult due to the large wave rolling in making the use if the GPS difficult to follow and the compass became a much better tool to keep us on course. The run back to the channel was much quicker as we were able to open up the throttle as we were running with the waves. Using the leading lights, we were able to travel down the channel. Mick requested we anchored up in 5 meters of water, Ged was briefed on the deployment and Anthony at the helm issuing instructions. With the anchor deployed the boat held its position in the strong current, this was quickly recovered to do the beach landing. Due to the time being about 30 minutes before the turn of the tide we decided to leave the beach and moor up where there was less chance of being beached. Lunch was a quick sandwich and a mug of coffee. The final task of the day boat recovery. The wind had picked up and a backup plan had to be initiated. Due to the waves breaking across the slip it came very clear that we were not going to be able to recover the boat safely with three of us, so we prepared for retrieval using the concrete bank on the seaward side at the top the slip. Anton positioned the trailer on the slop and Ged piloted the boat round to our home-made slip avoiding the flooded road to the right of the slipway. Mick was on winch duties. Recovery went like clockwork. The boat was packed up and washed down when we returned. Time to retreat to the bay horse in Euxton for a quick pint and debrief.

Thanks to Ged and Mick for helping me with the diver Cox assessment

Anthony
Anthony Mould
Club Member

Re: Diver Cox assessment February 3rd. 2018 Knott End

Postby Maria H » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:27 pm

Congratulations Anthony, not only for passing the assessment but, more importantly, for taking the initiative to make it happen. Well done.
Maria H
Diving Officer

Postby Geoff Roberts » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Well done Anton.
Sorry I missed the day.
I’m sure it would have been very useful learning experience for me.
Geoff Roberts
Club Member

Postby Ged Kirwan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:14 pm

Well done Anton.

The spring tide conditions were not for the faint hearted. Just the thing for a diver Cox award!

Ged
Ged Kirwan
Club Member

Postby Mandy Knott » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:34 pm

Well done everyone. Those conditions sounded challenging to say the least!

Any news on the state of the Wyre Light? Last time I was out there on the sand on a big spring low water late last summer, only one leg was whole - the others had finally caved in (rusted away) at the base. I'd be surprised it if had survived the storms we've had unless they have been out and repaired it?
Mandy Knott
Committee Member

Postby Anthony Mould » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Wyre Light

Still standing using the term very loosely but definitely in a very poor state.

Anton
Anthony Mould
Club Member

Postby Mandy Knott » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:08 pm

Thanks Anton.

I'll take my hard hard with me next time then :roll:
Mandy Knott
Committee Member

Return to Dive Trip Reports