Loch Fyne March 2014

Reports on our previous club dive trips and some of our day diving activities

Loch Fyne March 2014

Postby Maria H » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:21 am

It was the first UK sea diving tip of the year and, having just returned from 2 weeks in the Maldives with water temperature of 28 degrees, I was questioning my own sanity as we headed North!

We made good time on the journey, and the landscape in the Highlands was stunning with snow on the hills, and the sun reflecting off the Lochs. Unfortunately when we were 30 miles away a road traffic accident closed the road down the west side of the Loch! Angela and I decided to improvise and settled down in the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar with a bottle of wine and some very nice smoked salmon starters. If you're going to be delayed, you may as well do it in style :D After some discussion with the Highways Agency staff, it was decided that we had to make a major detour via Crianlarich. Nett result - the last 30 miles took us over 4 hours (including wine drinking time) :o

Simon had arranged a nice cottage for us to rent, and it was about 100 metres from the pub, so we headed up there for dinner on Friday evening.

Saturday was a sunny day, and the first dive was Stallion Rock, with a wall to 35M. The water was a balmy 8 degrees, so no ice cream head! The wall was full of life, with lots of squat lobsters, colourful sponges and a few gobies. After lunch back at the cottage, a more select /hardy group headed out for a second dive at Gortion Point, and then Sean and Steve had a 3rd, rather shallow dive as they helped skipper Simon to replace his mooring buoy. Sunday was another sunny day, and dive one was at Minard Island, where we saw a sea scorpion, a HUGE lobster and lots of other life. A quick brew back at the cottage and we headed out again to dive Glas Eilean, which is a slack water dive on a tidal site. This was an excellent, colourful dive site with several large edible crabs, plumose anemones, deadmans fingers, sea squirts, brittle stars and starfish and loads of other stuff. We then headed across the Loch to a rather nice pub, where Simon had dropped Stuart and Mick off pre-dive. Lunch and an apr├Ęs-dive drink by a roaring log fire rounded off the weekend's diving rather nicely.

Chef Sean served up an impressive dinner, and we had a relaxing evening on Sunday, and drove back on Monday morning.

All in all, it was an excellent weekend, diving from Fyne Pioneer. There are already rumours of a repeat visit. Note to self: I must get the leak fixed in my drysuit!!

Thanks to Sean, Jan, Angela, Steve, Stuart and Mick for an excellent weekend. Also, a big thank you to Simon Exley, skipper of Fyne Pioneer and his dad Dave who also helped to look after us and skippered on Sunday so that Simon could join us for a dive.
Last edited by Maria H on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maria H
Diving Officer

Re: Loch Fyne March 2014

Postby Stuart » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:24 am

Great start to the year, good company, good weather, good digs, a cracking two days dive. When the old bones are aching it reminds me why I keep doing it, cheers Maria for arranging it and talking me into it.
Stuart
Club Member

Postby Angela Clewes » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:06 am

Yes a great and pleasant weekend had by all. Lots to see and not too cold. The dive sites where great and I can imagine are even better in the summer months. Good food and company and Simon looked after us well. Thanks Maria for organising the trip. I for one would love to go again and dive with Simon it's not just a job for him but a passion he wants to share with everyone. :)
Angela Clewes
Club Member

Postby Jim Oldham » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:01 pm

Not another tea bag suit Maria ? I do believe that "dry suits" are available. :D

Sounds like a very good trip Angela, but in Summer the dreaded midges will appear. rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Regards,

Jim.
Jim Oldham
Friend / Social Guest

Postby Jan Glenn » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks for organising this Maria and you summed it up so well - an excellent weekend both the company and the diving. So much life on the walls and on the seabed.. it was brilliant ... I've got Loch Fyne under my skin and can't wait to go again ... Beautiful !!! ... Jim you need to join us next time :D
Jan Glenn
Treasurer

Return to Dive Trip Reports