Plymouth May 2014

Reports on our previous club dive trips and some of our day diving activities

Plymouth May 2014

Postby Maria H » Wed May 28, 2014 11:29 pm

What an excellent week so far!

Undaunted by the weather, Al demonstrated his flexibility and forward planning on Sunday with a trip to the Plymouth gin distillery when it was too rough to dive. No complaints there :D

Today involved an excellent dive on Eddystone, with probably the best viz I've encountered in British waters. Wall to wall jewel anemones in a range of colours made for an excellent dive.

More info to follow.

Maria
Maria H
Diving Officer

Re: Plymouth May 2014

Postby Tim Phillips » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:22 pm

Being a man of few words as you all know I will say the following
What a superb trip great diving, great company, all objectives achieved and as many dog biscuits as I could eat. Well done Al
Tim Phillips
Club Member

Postby Maria H » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:46 am

My 2 favourite dives of the week:

Eddystone

Eddystone is probably the UK’s most famous lighthouse and I’ve wanted to dive this ever since I sailed past it about 15 years ago. My expectation was that the exposed site and strong currents would make for a site full of life. I was not disappointed! It was a sunny day and the water was blue rather than green, with visibility in excess of 20 metres. The rocks were carpeted in jewel anemones, which seemed to be segregated by colour. We speculated on why this is (“don’t want you mixing with those blues dear”) and apparently they reproduce asexually by splitting, which leads to clusters of identically coloured clones.

HMS Coronation
The Coronation sank in 1691, and this is a protected wreck site. Armed with a laminated map of the site, we set off in search of the canons and anchors that litter the site. It’s not every day that you get to see 17 canons and 2 large anchors on a single dive!
Maria H
Diving Officer

Postby Maria H » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:15 pm

Maria H
Diving Officer

Return to Dive Trip Reports