Lochaline 2014

Reports on our previous club dive trips and some of our day diving activities

Lochaline 2014

Postby Tim Phillips » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Ok folks after much thought here is the dive report for Junes Lochaline trip
After much cursing, swearing and visits to every local supermarket to purchase the provisions I had forgotten to buy on the previous visit a few hours earlier it was declared all systems go
The band of happy travellers arrived at the RV point which was Forton services for the arranged 9am with the exception of Harry Dave S and Dave W who preferred to play their own version of Tetris loading and unloading kit into Harry's van
By the time we crossed the border everyone was together and all was well
The Movern dive lodge was well equipped and bedrooms were quickly allocated and all was well
The skipper Malcolm (perhaps the most laid back person I've ever met) arrived to say hello and suggested diving the Breda and the Thesis the following day with ropes off at 8:00
After a hearty breakfast the band of happy divers made their way to the quayside and boarded the Peregrine a roomy craft with on board compressor dive lift and spacious cabin the excitement was mounting as Tim delivered his first briefing
After a fairly long steam to the dive site during which time many cups of tea and coffee were consumed everyone got kitted and it was time to dive unfortunately Tom was unable to dive.
Everyone in turn got into the water which was like a sheet of glass and made their way to the shot and submerged and some surfaced almost immediately with masks full of water and a damaged mask which bore a striking likeness to the problem Matt had in Shetland
Unperturbed the problems were ironed out and everyone had their dive which was murky with a liberal scattering of jelly fish
Everyone up safely the band of adventurers made their way to the Thesis
A great dive with nice safe swim throughs and great viz although the importance of fastening ones dry suit before jumping into the water was highlighted on this dive as was the importance of keeping ones dive knife secure the day was finished with some divers showing their prowess and skills with a fishing rod providing mackerel which would be BBQd at a later date
After an eventful first day the happy bunch made their way back to the dive old age where Thai green curry was served
Suitably refreshed and the prospect of ropes off at 8:30 people slowly migrated to their pits
Throughout the evening Tim was trying to solve the age old problem of getting a new battery in his defunct computer or face the prospect of single ha deadly drinking Lochaline dry
8:30 came round quickly on day 2 and as Tim and Tom waved the group of well fed divers off to dive the John Preston a scenic wall dive and the Shuna a plan was hatched which would see Tim and Tom Oban bound on a combination of ferry and bus (this journey is worth a report in itself) I am unable to comment further on the diving for this day
After a BBQ and liquid refreshments it was time to retire with the prospect of a 10 am ropes off for day 3
Day 3 began much the same as the previous days with a large breakfast and then off to the quayside. The boat was gradually getting noticeably lower in the water as the group collectively began to put weight due to a combination of fry ups BBQs and curry and we we're off once more the plan being to dive the Shuna and the Thesis
The Shuna was pleasant with plenty to see reasonably good viz and a smattering of large fish made this good fun.
The second dive saw a return to the Thesis which saw even better viz than the previous dive on the same wreck with no tidal current to speak of. There was some interesting surface cover from other boats present but again that's another story
Day 3 slowly came to an end and as the last embers of the BBQ died down people slowly meandered their way to bed in preparation for the biggie the following day
Day 4 more bacon sausage black pudding etc etc hit the by now well used grill pan before everyone made their way to the boat for an 11 o clock ropes off to dive The Rhondo
This was Matts opportunity to demonstrate his dive managing skills and hopefully complete his DP2
Everyone suitably briefed (well done Matt) they entered the water to find great viz and a dive which started at around 5 meters and goes down to 50 meters 35 meters was the chosen maximum depth for most with some electing to stay shallower and completing their safety stop on the rudder of the craft at 6 meters
The second dive was a scallop dive which only 4 divers elected to partake in but the resulting catch of scallops and squat lobsters certainly went down well upon arrival at home. The sea bed was littered with life and a visit from a thorn back ray capped the dive off. DSMBs launched the final divers Tim and Jane were lifted back onto the Peregrine and the 45 journey began and talk of Lochaline 2015 began
The question is would I do it again, do I want to put myself through the joys of asda Sainsburys and Tesco all in one day do I want to spend 6 hours in a car to a place that's miles away from the nearest town, where the shops close on Sunday, where night never really seems to fall.
Do I want to dive with a bunch of great people do I want to dive iconic wrecks do I want to enjoy laughter until I cry again. The answer COURSE I DO
Massive thanks to everyone who came for mucking in and making this trip the success that it was
There's lots of tales I could tell but your all probably bored with reading my inane witterings now so Ill shut up
Keep your eyes out for Lochaline 2015 folks and safe diving
Tim Phillips
Club Member

Re: Lochaline 2014

Postby Sean Mckenna » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:45 am

A great write up Tim, sounds excellent y'all, any piccy's to go with it? 8-)

Sean :D
Sean Mck

Like sands through the hour glass, so are the days of our lives!
Sean Mckenna
Boat Officer

Postby Liz Shea » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:52 am

Thanks Tim for a fabulous trip. It was memorable for so many reasons but in particular for your meal planning and service. Thanks also to Jane for all her hard work and support (we did have to cope with 8 men!). Many thanks to my buddy Dave for testing my experience in dealing with diving problems, only joking, I'll dive with you anytime. Lastly a big thank you to everyone for being great company.
Liz Shea

Postby David Willman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:19 am

Liz Shea wrote:Thanks Tim for a fabulous trip. It was memorable for so many reasons but in particular for your meal planning and service. Thanks also to Jane for all her hard work and support (we did have to cope with 8 men!). Many thanks to my buddy Dave for testing my experience in dealing with diving problems, only joking, I'll dive with you anytime. Lastly a big thank you to everyone for being great company.

When my mask flooded - Liz was there at my side
when my suit flooded - Liz was there at my side
When my pony regulator free flowed - Liz was there at my side (laughing)

You know what Liz - your a bloody jinx !!!!
( tee hee hee hee)
David Willman
Chairman

Postby Liz Shea » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:19 pm

Hey Dave you forgot about when your blow and go blew and went!!! :lol:
Liz Shea

Return to Dive Trip Reports