Mexico 2016 (Cenotes)

Reports on our previous club dive trips and some of our day diving activities

Mexico 2016 (Cenotes)

Postby Maria H » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:55 pm

A massive thank you to Ged for organising this holiday cum dive trip.

The reef dives were good, but the cenotes were just amazing!!!! A couple of those dives have muscled their way in to my all time Top 10 :D

Angelita cenote looked pretty unimpressive from the surface. Just a fairly small hole in the ground that's filled with water. Below the surface was a different story, as we dropped down to about 28m and hovered above a "cloud" layer made up of decomposing tree matter. Tree branches appeared through the cloud. Dropping through the cloud was weird, as it not only smelled sulphurous but it must be more dense than the fresh water. It was a struggle to descend through this layer of zero visibility to clear but dark water below.

Grand cenote was shallower, and we followed a line through a subterranean world, with stalagmites & stalactites that have taken thousands of years to develop. There were several areas where daylight filtered through, making for some very impressive light patterns and silhouettes. I was swimming along repeating "wow" to myself!

The Pit is another cenote, and is much wider at the bottom than at the surface, so it is almost cathedral shaped. The music from Peer Gynt Hall of the Mountain King was my earworm for this dive.

The diving off Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen included some decent reefs, a howling current and a wreck that kept Ged happy, but it's the cenotes that would draw me back to the Yucatan.

I've uploaded some photos to the club Facebook page. You should be able to view them via this link https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1099322420132098.1073741839.141477322583284&type=1&l=2d164eac21

There were also some non-diving highlights, with the pyramid and other archaeological sites at Chichen Itza (aka Chicken Licken) and at Tulum, though having a guided tour repeated in 3 languages is not recommended. Oh....., did I mention the swim-up bar and cocktails? It was very hot, so we needed to cool off now & again ;)

I will add some non diving photos later.

Thanks to Ged, Kath, Mick, Janet, Andy & Leonie for an excellent holiday.
Maria H
Diving Officer

Re: Mexico 2016

Postby Ged Kirwan » Sun May 01, 2016 3:36 pm

Yes it was a good trip! Great diving and great company.

We blagged the dive operator into dispensing with a check out dive so started off on a 40 mtrs dive going through a cloud with zero vis. This was actually a terrific dive. After we dived the Grand Cenote with endless vis I thought 'How do you top that?' Then the next day we managed to beat it in the fabulous Pit cenote. This is where we swam out into the cenote and had to get kitted up in the water after our kit was lowered down to us on a rope about 25ft . All good fun.
Ged Kirwan
Club Member

Re: Mexico 2016

Postby Maria H » Sun May 01, 2016 4:57 pm

Ged Kirwan wrote:Yes it was a good trip! Great diving and great company.

We blagged the dive operator into dispensing with a check out dive so started off on a 40 mtrs dive going through a cloud with zero vis. This was actually a terrific dive. After we dived the Grand Cenote with endless vis I thought 'How do you top that?' Then the next day we managed to beat it in the fabulous Pit cenote. This is where we swam out into the cenote and had to get kitted up in the water after our kit was lowered down to us on a rope about 25ft . All good fun.

You might have gone to 40m, but some of us stuck to the plan ;)
Maria H
Diving Officer

Return to Dive Trip Reports