Menai Straits Grand Day Out

Reports on our previous club dive trips and some of our day diving activities

Menai Straits Grand Day Out

Postby Maria H » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Ged modestly said he'd "not really done anything" when I thanked him for arranging this dive. I suppose that translates to having done nothing apart from reading up about the dive site, checking the tides to find a suitable date, advertising the trip, arranging car sharing, fixing his trailer in case he needed to take 4 passengers and gear, AND putting up with Nick in the car on what looked like a "care in the community" outing!
We were joined by Jacob & Isabelle from Aberystwyth Uni, plus Adrian, Alistair, John & Alan from JBOD. Geoff plus Mark from JBOD provided reassuring shore cover on a nice sunny day.
We dived under the Menai Bridge, heading from shore towards the bridge, and then returning as the tide gently turned and drifted back to our entry point. I really enjoyed the dive. There was loads of life. Crabs (velvet swimming crabs, edible crabs and even a Leach's crab), shrimps, small fish, colourful sponges, anemones, starfish and various types of fish. As someone pointed out, it cost about the same as a dive in the Delph, and there was loads to see.
We stopped off at Colwyn Bay on the way home to check out the new slipway, and have a coffee.
If anyone is thinking of doing this again, please note that it is a slack water dive, so you must check tide times and do it on neaps, low water slack (about 3 hours 15 minutes before LW Liverpool).

Thanks to Ged for organising a fun day out, and a lovely bimble.

I didn't take my camera in, but Alistair did. Here's his trip report, complete with photos http://www.justabunchofdivers.org/single-post/2016/09/26/Menai-Strait-with-friends
Maria H
Diving Officer

Return to Dive Trip Reports