Menai Straits November 2017

Reports on our previous club dive trips and some of our day diving activities

Menai Straits November 2017

Postby Maria H » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:03 pm

As we drove along the coast road, it didn't look promising! Waves were crashing in and I wondered if I should have cancelled the dive, with expectations of poor visibility.
Expectations didn't improve when we arrived on site. The grassy bank where we kit up was a mud bath, and the Straits looked distinctly milky.

It was Adam's first sea dive, and I'd tucked a buddy line in my pocket just in case the visibility was very poor. Thankfully it wasn't needed.

Visibility was about 3 metres, and Adam was very quickly pointing out velvet swimming crabs. We also saw a few Leach's spider crabs, and a single edible crab. A few small fish, and loads of colourful sponges and a few anemones.

There was a good turnout, with 12 of us in total, though a combination of planned shore cover plus a few equipment problems meant that we almost as many providing shore cover as we had divers in the water! We were also joined by Jacob and 5 others from Aberystwyth University club.

Apres dive, Tim's bacon butty van provided on site catering in a layby overlooking the Menai Straits.

Thanks to everyone for an excellent day, and congratulations to both Adam and Conrad on your first UK sea dives.
Maria H
Diving Officer

Return to Dive Trip Reports