Teccy wrecks Malta

Reports on our previous club dive trips and some of our day diving activities
Geoff Roberts
Club Member

Teccy wrecks Malta

Post by Geoff Roberts » Wed May 22, 2019 5:24 pm

In Gozo Malta diving some of the teccy wrecks with Dennis Wigg and some other reprobates.
Using Atlantis in Marsalforn who I cannot recommend too highly.
Three wrecks so far. The Stubborn. An S class submarine sunk as a sonar target in 1947 at 57 metres. Viz not as good as usual but still a good checkout dive.
The Polynesienne. A French cargo/passenger liner from the 1st world war in 66 metres. Huge wreck and now a hull with a steel skeleton left.
The Nasturtium. A First World War sloop sunk by a mine just released for diving by Malta heritage in 68 metres.
Tomorrow planned the bow of the Southwold which is a 2nd War destroyer also sunk by a mine with a nice 4 inch gun with ammo and shell casings. 68metre.
Then return home using Air Malta who have a nice baggage system for scuba gear. Great when you have two 30kg bags.

Geoff Roberts
Club Member

Re: Teccy wrecks Malta

Post by Geoff Roberts » Thu May 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Southwold disappointing.
Shot dragged in strong surface current so a long swim to the wreck on the bottom just in time to return to the shot.
30 minutes deco for nothing.

Mike Sivieri
Training Officer

Post by Mike Sivieri » Fri May 24, 2019 4:37 am

How heavy was the shot?
Faith, Trust, and a little bit of Pixie Dust!

Geoff Roberts
Club Member

Post by Geoff Roberts » Fri May 24, 2019 6:34 am

Approx 25 kg but with a trapeze slung on they do drag more easily. Not the best deployment ever either. It was already quie a few yards off the wreck before it dragged.