Beadnell (Northumberland) Shore Diving 29th June

Reports on our previous club dive trips and some of our day diving activities
Neil Radcliffe
Secretary

Beadnell (Northumberland) Shore Diving 29th June

Post by Neil Radcliffe » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:15 pm

Given the 100% drop out rate this probably no longer qualified as a Club trip – but Eleanor and myself went anyway, so here’s our story.

We also tried to activate a Plan B – involving some friends from up there who enjoy the local diving – but wouldn’t you just know it, they were doing some training in Capers instead. Doh!

Anyhow ... we awoke on Saturday morning to find the heatwave still in full swing*, and a quick check on the sea found it calmer* than the Valium Mill’s Pond, with those wonderful turquoise-blue colours. Beadnell is why I became a diver – and I still find it stunning!

The chosen site for our first dive was in an east-facing Inlet called Nacker Hole – chosen mainly because it involved only a 20 yard walk from the car! Plus it kept us away from the ten or so other divers all headed for the next Inlet along (Lady Hole). Entry to Nacker Hole is from a mostly sandy beach, from where you fin out through a hole in the reef which was blasted out many many years ago to make the beach part the original natural harbour. The Inlet is flanked by rocky reefs, which are angled such that their northern sides provide a near vertical wall, and their southern sides present a gently sloping face. The walls have lots of weathering / crevices which provide a natural home for Lobsters etc.

More generally the ease of entry, the gradual depth changes and the freedom from significant currents all make both Nacker and Lady Holes very popular for diver training. Nacker Hole was thus an ideal place for Eleanor’s second sea dive. In fact we also decided that it was safe enough for her to make the switch to her back-plate and wing. This part didn’t go quite so well, she started off slightly under-weighted (my bad), and her wing’s inflator was sticking slightly, but we persevered and got a 40 min dive in. We followed the wall out at a hugely dawdled pace, with yours truly trying to make the huge mental leap of enjoying attractions with no rusty metal. The estimated visibility was 8 to 10m, and the main attraction spotted on this first dive was a plethora of hermit crabs, which at times provided a moving bottom effect – quite comical in its randomness. There are supposed to be Sea Hares around this area, but clearly I’ve not got my eye in yet for those.

Following ‘family stuff’ in the afternoon (Rebecca also came with us), and a quick change of inflator, our second dive was in the early evening, in Lady Hole. This turned out to be much the better dive - there was lots more life, including Lobsters, Crabs of all sizes, loads of small fish (Saithe?), several small flat-fish and the odd reasonably sized Wrasse. Again we clocked up 40 mins or so, and we both came out with >130 bar! As an aside, I believe this Inlet would be a brilliant site for a first night dive, especially with a small beach bonfire. Our own perfect evening was completed with a fish and chip supper, although perfection was slightly then tainted by the compulsory intervention of the girls watching Love Island.

We then decided to stick with family and friends stuff on the Sunday, and I completed my part of the bargain by getting Eleanor home in time to go to a party.

The best bit is that the two of us should get chance to repeat all of the above (and hopefully much more!) very soon - we’re up there again in the school hols for our main family holiday.

*some facts might have been… errr… mis-typed to slightly enhance the dramatic effect.

Maria H
Chairman

Re: Beadnell (Northumberland) Shore Diving 29th June

Post by Maria H » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:01 am

Sounds like you had a good day. Sorry I couldn’t join you.

Tim Phillips
Club Member

Post by Tim Phillips » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:42 pm

I was especially disappointed that Jane and I weren’t able to come. More so when The weekend was spent lifting and shifting furniture , the fact it was the hottest weekend of the year only enhanced the experience . Sounds like you had a blast though. I’m never moving again so please consider us next time

John Amer
Club Member

Post by John Amer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:12 am

Sounds ideal for a pre-Farnes to get weights and sea fins prepared.
Are the 'holes' diveable pretty much on demand?

Tim,
You should have reached out to the club, we'd have moved you.

Neil Radcliffe
Secretary

Post by Neil Radcliffe » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:51 pm

John - the Holes are still fully open to the North Sea, but subject to that are fairly well sheltered - and certainly from any currents. General swell and easterly winds ruin things, but they are normally calm in even quite strong (prevailing) westerlies, and <touches wood!> you'd be quite unlucky not to get in in summer. But in winter I've seen large pebbles thrown well beyond the sea wall! Plus the vis also takes a while to settle after any significant weather. I'm not going to claim they are unduly special (although the adjacent Farne Islands obviously are!) - but for us it's a free place to stay.

I've previously done exactly as you suggest and simply dropped by in passing (on my way to Marine Quest in Eyemouth) just to do a quick sea-weighting check.

I'm currently thinking that my next attempt for a Club trip up there should go for variety, with e.g. a drift dive, wreck dive, night dive, scenic dive, etc.

John Amer
Club Member

Post by John Amer » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:28 am

Thanks Neil. I'll see if we can pop up there pre farnes. Maybe travel early on the Friday.