Cable Bay, Rhosneigr, Anglesey

Reports on our previous club dive trips and some of our day diving activities
Andy Clark
Club Member

Cable Bay, Rhosneigr, Anglesey

Post by Andy Clark » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:16 am

Yesterday’s dives at Cable bay feature in my top three dives of all time. Unfortunately not documented on film as my SD card was at home....

Adam, Adrian, Andy, Conrad, Geoff, John and Mike arrived at 5pm and walked the coastal path to gauge the conditions and area to dive as the sea was still quite a way out. The beach had a few people on BBQing and playing in the water as the temperature was still in the mid 20’s.

After kitting up and the usual brief and checks everyone entered the water for a 60 minute dive. Using only 80 bar and a max depth of 4.5m the viz was quite poor at around 2-3m, the marine life was spectacular.

The group reconvened at the car park for a surface interval and BBQ. Entertained by Geoff’s usual good humour and a log fire thanks to John we ate well and prepared for the night dive.

As the sun set around 9:30 we kitted up and added extra torches and light sticks (Cyalumes) to our kit and entered the water for a 40 minute dive. Once again the marine life didn’t fail to deliver other than the Bioluminescence wasn’t seen.

For anyone that hasn’t done a night dive before, the experience can be quite daunting and disorienting but good buddy drills and compass work helps to make the task easier. The light show from above is spectacular. Many people were camping on the beach and headland around us and must have had a fantastic view of our dive.

Between the group we encountered the following: Common Lobster, Edible crabs, very friendly and inquisitive Small-spotted Catshark, Little Cuttlefish, Squid, Ballan Wrasse, Worm Pipefish, Sea Scorpion, Cod, Thornback Ray, Undulate Ray, Sea Hare, Common Welk, Smooth Hound, Chameleon Shrimp, South-claw Hermit Crab, Green Shore Crab,Sea Gooseberry, Compass Jellyfish, Blue Jellyfish, Sole, Tompot Blenheim to name but a few.

This is a perfect place to introduce new divers to the sea or for anyone wanting to have really long dives that aren’t interested in chasing depths but want to see and learn about the marine life that our coast line can offer. There was little current on the flooding tide with only a short walk over the sand to the beach. Facilities are sparse here but available at a short drive if required.

The only picture I have unfortunately is this great book that helps me learn about what it is we’ve all been lucky enough to see. I’m thinking of planning this again in a few weeks or so if anyone wants to tag along if only for the bbq????

Mandy Knott
Welfare Officer

Re: Cable Bay, Rhosneigr, Anglesey

Post by Mandy Knott » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:45 am

Thanks Andy for a great write-up. Sounds like a perfect shallow shore dive with loads to see, and I enjoyed reading your species list :) What is the book you are using??

If I;m around when you do it again I'd definitively be interested.

Cheers

Mandy

Andy Clark
Club Member

Post by Andy Clark » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:47 pm

Thanks Mandy its the Collins Complete Guide to British Costal Wildlife- sorry I cant upload pics to the forum.

John Amer
Club Member

Post by John Amer » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:26 am

I'd go again.

Mandy Knott
Welfare Officer

Post by Mandy Knott » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:04 pm

Fantastic@!

There's a couple of new to me species in that lot.. Chameleon shrimp and South claw hermit crab 😀😀😀