ANGLESEY WEEKEND

Reports on our previous club dive trips and some of our day diving activities
Ged Kirwan
Club Member

ANGLESEY WEEKEND

Post by Ged Kirwan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:15 pm

ANGLESEY WEEKEND
It is impossible to run a dive like this one without help and on this trip we had an excellent team. Special note of thanks to Neil for generously letting us use his boat KB, Anton’s energy, and Mick giving up his weekend’s diving to cox the boat for us.

Friday was unfit for diving, so we salvaged the afternoon by using the time to complete Eleanor’s Sport Diver open water lessons in Holyhead harbour. Well done to Eleanor for a good performance in completing her SD training before she goes off to university.

Northerly winds on Saturday closed down most options for us, but there was enough shelter in Porth Dafach for us to dive the wreck of the Missouri. We thought the boilers would be a good target in the low visibility and we placed the shot 6 inches from the four boilers. We had a good explore around these in three metres visibility.
The stern section has broken away from the wreck and is a separate site. We dived the stern section in the afternoon where we had a good look around the steering quadrant and rudder in similar conditions to the morning dive.

The Sunday forecast showed us there was an opportunity to get out to the Skerries before the next set of strong winds kicked in. This was part of the original plan, so a better day in prospect. We had a licence to dive the site of Royal Yacht Mary lost in 1675 and rediscovered in 1971 by Chorley BSAC. This is a protected site and it had been a bit of a faff getting the licence, so I was pleased not to let the opportunity pass by. I went into the Coastguard Station to present the paperwork and we were legal to go. There isn’t much left of the wreck since all the bronze cannon were lifted in the 1970’s and sent off to the Royal Armouries. The leading archaeologist had been kind enough to send me a plan showing the location a bit of structure and some cannonballs and other items. One to tick off!

The Skerries are a group of islands with spectacular scenery but very difficult tides. We knew it was possible to get a second dive on an old slate wreck if we got our timings correct, and we were slick sticking to our schedule. We did in fact manage a very pleasant dive where one group had a rummage around the slate cargo, while Anton and I entertained ourselves with an octopus for five minutes. Our new friend must have liked us because when we eventually moved off it followed us!

Back to the Skerries Lagoon for lunch where the noisiest group of seals I have ever heard tempted some of our group to a third dive. Perhaps not as friendly as their Farnes’ cousins, nevertheless they did approach and Anton was face to face with one of them.

All good stuff, and after lunch ashore Mick led the beach combing party on his own archaeological dig. With the wind getting up and seven miles motoring back to the harbour we decided to call it a day. We didn’t in fact go straight back; while the KB crew were distracted watching dolphins the Choc O crew went off to recce another couple of wreck sites.

Back at the accommodation we spent another pleasant evening around the table talking and reliving the dives. This way you get twice as many dives (even if they are a bit noisier!)

Thanks to everyone for their help and good company.
Ged

Mandy Knott
Welfare Officer

Re: ANGLESEY WEEKEND

Post by Mandy Knott » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Sounds like an excellent weekend and we'll done to everyone for executing the plan so well.

Stuart
Club Member

Post by Stuart » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:46 pm

Once again my old bones did not feel up to going out on the boat but the enthusiasm , the slick launching and recovery of the boats and the obvious enjoyment exuding from everyone round the table eating hearty meals made by superb chefs did the said old bones good. Thanks to everyone involved for another brilliant trip.

Maria H
Chairman

Post by Maria H » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:04 pm

Looks like you had a good weekend. Any photos for the Facebook page?

Neil Radcliffe
Secretary

Post by Neil Radcliffe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:14 pm

And a huge thanks here from the both of us - we really enjoyed this one. And obviously Eleanor getting SD done was the icing on our cake. My own old bones have definitely been catching up with me since we got back!

Anthony Mould
Diving Officer

Post by Anthony Mould » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Thanks Ged for organizing a great weekends diving

Anton