Korcula Croatia

Reports on our previous club dive trips and some of our day diving activities
Maria H
Chairman

Korcula Croatia

Post by Maria H »

Tom is working as a dive guide and instructor at Dupin Dive Centre in Korcula, Croatia, so it would be rude not to visit him 😊 The added attraction was that Croatia was on the UK government green list for travel.

The diving
Dupin is a small dive centre, run by Steve & Jan, originally from the UK. Diving is from a RIB, with a lunch break in between dives.
We dived a few impressive rock formations and caverns, with beautiful blue light streaming in. The cavern walls were covered in colourful life, leaving me wishing that I’d taken the lights for my GoPro…. The wreck of the Boha is a great dive. The Boha hit the rocks at full steam (the captain was “team building” with his crew when it hit the rocks!) You can see the effect of this with the crumpled bow section and the broken propellor. The wreck is broken up, but still a recognisable shape and even I can identify key sections of wreckage.

The Adriatic isn’t teaming with fish, but we saw scorpion fish on most dives, and some shoals of smaller fish. Also a variety of nudibranchs. We also saw broken amphora dating back to 1000 BC (the dive centre had been involved in an archaeological survey). I saw 3 octopuses, though they all remained in their holes. Apparently 2 of them came out of their hidey holes as I surfaced, leaving Tom to enjoy their turf war.

Getting there
I flew via Dubrovnik, and spent a lovely 3 days there before getting the 2 hours ferry across to Korcula. Dubrovnik is a beautiful city (“the pearl of the Adriatic”) and well worth a visit.

The island
I didn’t see much of Korcula island, but liked what I saw. The island is wooded and apparently popular with walkers. It also boats a few vineyards, though I didn’t get to visit any (though I might have sampled some of their products). Korcula Old Town is similar architecture to Dubrovnik, with city walls and red-tiled roofs. I stayed in an apartment about half way between the Old Town and the dive centre, so 10-15 minutes walk in either direction. On the Friday evening, Tom & I got a taxi down to the next town of Lumbarda, where they hold a fisherman's market on Friday evenings, selling freshly cooked fish and also wine tasting from stalls in the town square.